Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Barnes & Noble Sale Annex

I have visited the used book section of Rochester's Barnes and Noble many times, but it is such a great place that I couldn't resist writing about it. Not many Barnes and Noble stores have a used book section- in fact, the Rochester location is the only one in my area that I know of. The Sale Annex is a large area in the even larger store. Whenever I get the chance to visit, I am always astounded by the vast selection and the fact that my arms always end up filled with more books than I can afford.

The used section of the store is set up the same as the rest of the store. Organized by category, alphabetical order, etc. The only difference is that all the books are used rather than new, obviously. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the store give customers the opportunity to sell their used books back to the store. A unique aspect of used books as opposed to the usual "trade in" that smaller stores offer. With this practice, the store has the chance to swap out books more often. When I visit, I always notice that the stock is different from the last time.

Each of the sections are large and well stocked. I was pleased to see a good variety of books during this visit, including graphic novels. The store even features special edition and collectible used books. Some of these are even signed by the author. Many of the paperback books are priced at five dollars, with the exception of shorter children's chapter books, which are either one or three dollars. Hardcover books are between seven and ten dollars. Though prices are on the expensive side for used books, there are tables in the middle of the used book section that sell books at fifty percent off.


Twenty six was the magic number of Nancy Drew books at the Sale Annex. The store has the first eight books of the Nancy Drew Girl Detective books. This series is the newest and is currently still published. There were also three copies of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Mysteries- which I love. The team ups between the savvy sleuth and the detective brothers are always good for a humorous, yet fantastic mystery.

Though I didn't buy anything on this trip to the Barnes and Noble Sale Annex, you can guarantee that I will return to browse again.

No comments:

Post a Comment