Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Secondhand Sleuth

Secondhand Sleuth here and I’m on the case to hunt down used books. I’m ready to track down what I deem valuable in abundances of old novels and stories. Stick with me to crack the case as I solve the mystery of the best used book stores in the metro-Detroit area.


There is something about an old, beat-up, dog-eared book that has more value than an expensive, brand new novel. Browsing through a used bookstore is a mystery. You never know what forgotten book will show up on the shelf next. It may be an early edition of a treasured classic or simply a beloved childhood favorite.

Ever since I was young, I have been an avid reader.  I can easily get lost in the twisting plot of a novel. The words on a page have the ability to draw me in to the magic of the story. Devouring stories was my favorite way to pass the time. As I get older, my search for a good read grows, as does my collection of books. Most recently, the newest additions to my collection are, in fact, old.

The world of used books is very exciting. I intend to dive into this world with enthusiasm and passion. Not only will I browse through the stacks, I will give my honest overall rating of the store. I will base my rating on experience, stock, and bargains. The best book store visit will end with me walking away with a new read. A review is not the only thing I will provide, though. I will record all my exciting adventures in the shelves- the books I find and the people I meet.

On my quest, I will sleuth for any and every edition of the Nancy Drew series, by Carolyn Keene. Nancy Drew is one of my all-time favorite characters. The savvy detective has always sparked my interest and now it is my turn to be the sleuth. The series was first published in the 1930’s and has been in circulation ever since. Over 80 million different copies and editions have been printed and sold over the years. Multiple spin-off series, as well as movies and computer games, has kept Nancy and her mysteries relevant and thrilling. With this said, the original, yellow-spined books are a prize to come across. I hope to find old, new, and in-between copies to add to my growing collection about the girl detective.

Used book stores hold excitement and adventure in every turn of the page. After all, books hold some of the most important clues to life.

In the words of Virginia Woolf, “Second hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack.”


Wish me Happy Sleuthing!

No comments:

Post a Comment