Thursday, October 3, 2013

Charlin's Book Nook

Charlin's Book Nook, a small shop in Frankenmuth, was among one of the most exciting used book store trips I've had. I visited in the summer, but the store is worth an honorable mention now. On my first trip there, I found a British edition of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. So, when I returned to Frankenmuth in the summer, I made a special trip to Charlin’s. The store is located in downtown Frankenmuth's River Place, a great stop on a bigger shopping trip.

Charlin's is relatively small, but the selection is good. The shelves are many- stacked high and full of countless books. The majority of the books were no older fifteen years, but there were a few old ones if you looked hard enough. Genre wise, there was a good variety, appealing to most reading interests. There were the usual genres, along with a rather large children’s and young adult’s section. In fact, these two sections were in a small room of their own- separate from the rest of the store. Prices depend on the condition of the book, how new or old it is, and if it’s rare or not. For the most part, the books ranged between a reasonable two to ten dollars.

I liked that the store featured a small area for browsers to sit and read. There were a few comfortable chairs, an electric fireplace, and a babbling fountain. Charlin's was peaceful- perfect for a used book store. Not only could I get lost in the stacks, but I could take a seat and read a little, something that I find helps me decide which books to buy.






Nancy's Mysterious Letter copyright 1932

When I came across the Nancy Drew selection, I was shocked. The number of Nancy Drew books was enormous. There had to at least have been twenty-five books, if not more. There were a few recently published copies, but the majority of them were older books- from the original Girl Detective Series. There was a mix of the old and new yellow books; both the early published editions and the re-published editions from the 2000s. My excitement came upon my finding of a Nancy Drew book that had been published in the 1930s. I found Nancy's Mysterious Letter which was published in 1932 for the first time. One of these copies is not necessarily rare, as some old books are, but I was excited to be able to add an early edition onto my list of found books. The second book that I found was The Secret in the Old Attic which was published in 1944, also the original publishing date, though book came later in the series. Both of these books are now members of my own personal collection.


It’s a sure fact that when I go back to Frankenmuth, I will visit Charlin’s again. I had a great and exciting experience there, finding the two Nancy Drew books. I am very excited to see what I will find on the shelves next.







No comments:

Post a Comment